Thursday, June 20, 2013

Roll It Up

We're not really big sushi eaters, but every once and a while, I get a mad craving for it. Although I don't go for any of the fishy stuff, the vegetarian offerings are so tasty, who needs it? Sushi chefs are artists when it comes to preparing and presenting their "works".  The speed and skill they demonstrate is as entertaining as the food is delicious. And it's filling, but not in a sluggish, heavy way.


We got it to go, so I plated it up for an attractive photo op. The small seaweed wrapped rolls have different vegetables in the middle, carrots, cucumbers, avocado... makes for pretty colours. 


Look how fancy these avocado rolls are. The avocado was thinly sliced and wrapped around julienned vegetables. 


The entire roll is encased in rice paper to hold it all together. These are so freakin' good, you have no idea. I never even use any of the sauce for these rolls. I just eat them au naturel. Yum! 

Since I'm on a roll....(groan) 


These I made. They're Moroccan-Infused Vegetable Phyllo Rolls from Dreena Burton's book "Eat, Drink & Be Vegan" 


These are sooooo good! Don't be intimidated by phyllo dough. It's fairly easy to work with and is very forgiving. Just remember to keep the sheets of dough covered with a damp towel and use a light touch on the pieces you're working on. 
I did a search and found the recipe on line at Vegan.com. Want to make these tasty rolls? Just roll on over here!

No comments:

Post a Comment